My carpet is flooded – What should I do?
1) Deal with it quickly - Timeliness and speed of fixing the wet carpet is absolutely critical. The quicker we can start the drying process, the less damage to your home and goods. Call a professional like Electrovac to come deal with the matter urgently.
2) Stop Secondary Damage - Secondary damage, such as microbial growth and odour can happen very quickly. This is a health risk to you and your family. Electrovac Carpet Cleaning’s staff will walk you through the complete process.
3) Sort Out Your Insurance - Professional companies like Electrovac will happily help you with your insurance needs such as filing a claim if assistance is needed. We work with all insurance companies and are familiar with the necessary steps while filing a claim.
We understand that water damage is a very stressful issue. We are here to guide you through every step and to get your home or business to pre-loss condition as quickly as possible!
Safety Steps for when you have a water emergency:
Below are some safety steps you can follow to minimise the impact to your house:
- Do not enter the area that has standing water due to electrical shock hazard.
- Turn off circuit breakers to the area affected.
- Turn off the water source if possible.
- If a repair is needed for a leak or whatever the source of the water was, call a professional.
- Call professional Water Restoration Company such as Electrovac Carpet Cleaning.
- Remove small articles that are on wet surfaces and be careful where you are placing them, they are most likely wet.
- Remove personal items such as; shoes, toys, paper items, etc.
- Place plastic wrap or foil under furniture legs that are on wet surfaces that cannot be moved.
- Remove any breakables from the affected area such as china, collectibles, glassware etc.
- In the event your draperies get wet, put the bottom of the draperies through a clothes hanger and hang it to the top of the curtain rod. Furniture skirts can also be pinned up.
- Keep children and pets from the affected area.
Some handy emergency wet carpet cleaning & restoration tips
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping or sweeping
- Wipe furniture dry and block it up to allow the base to dry
- Lift draperies off the carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place
the hanger on the drapery rod
- Remove wet area rugs or other loose floor coverings
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread them out to dry
- Do not use ordinary household vacuum to remove water
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet - incorrectly could damage the backing of the carpet
Q: Can't I replace my carpet for the cost required to properly dry the carpet?
A: Carpet dries very rapidly with the proper equipment. It is your structure we are most concerned with such as; walls, baseboards, areas that are not seen.
Q: It is just a little water, won't it dry?
A: It will dry, but in the time it takes to dry the dark and/or hidden areas, you may have microbial growth and odour. Your cost gets substantially higher if this occurs. Microbial growth can be dangerous to your health - especially children, elderly and those with immune and respiratory problems.
Q: Can you just remove the water? That is all I want done.
A: We cannot just remove the water for you. Electrovac Carpet Cleaning are trained and certified by the IICRC and we follow the S-500 standards for our industry. We cannot do a partial job because this will put you and us at risk.
Q: Can I just put some fans on the carpet?
A: Fans are not enough! We also use commercial dehumidifiers to draw moisture out of your environment. Each water damage emergency is different so we will determine what equipment is necessary in order to mitigate your water damage in the most efficient manner.